Friday, December 3, 2010

a conversation about cloth

I always find it interesting how conversations about cloth diapers happen. More often than not I have conversations with people I already know who either have babies or are expecting. They either want to know more about cloth diapers because they are thinking of using them, or they want to question my decision either out of interest or because they think it is weird. Occasionally something will happen and I have a conversation with some random person.

One conversation about cloth I remember clearly happened a few months ago at the post office. I had taken my twins in to pick up a package of fluffy mail. As I was handed my package I turned to my babies and said something along the lines of "your new diapers are here!" The older man in line behind me looked at the size of the package, looked at my twins and laughed saying "those wont last you very long".

I quickly explained that yes in fact they would, as they were cloth diapers and would last until potty training. I expected the conversation to end there, but he continued to ask questions and appeared interested. This conversation ended with me opening up my parcel and showing him what some "modern cloth" looked like. He thought they were great, looked them over and asked me some more questions. It turned out his daughter was pregnant and, after our conversation, he was going to tell her about cloth diapers.

Of course this attracted the interest of the post office worker and she joined into our chat, as well as a young woman carrying a baby who came into the post office part way through. The post office worker had a sister with a baby and the one carrying her baby got interested enough to ask for the website address for the site I ordered from.

I have no idea if any of these 3 people (or their families) ever gave another thought about cloth diapers let alone chose to use them, but in about 10 minutes I had introduced 3 new people to cloth and they had all thought they were really cool. I love having these types of conversations. I know that not everyone who is planning to diaper a baby who is introduced to modern cloth will make that choice, but hopefully at least a few might.

No comments:

Post a Comment